I am the Honorable, Henry Seriake Dickson, Governor of the great state of Bayelsa and a delegate to this convention. I rise to move a motion that the constitution of our great party be further amended in the following particulars;
Whereas, the constitution of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) was amended at the national convention held on the 24th of March 2012, and between the 9th and 10th of December 2014 respectively,
Whereas, the high court of the Federal Capital Territory, in the case of Chief Joseph Jerro versus the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), nullified sections 47-6 of our constitution
Whereas, successive constitution review committees of our party including the constitution and manifesto review panel lead by the very eminent Professor Jerry Gana, led strategy review and inter-party affairs committee and other committees in that regard have continuously identified shortcomings in our constitution and have made recommended amendments
Whereas, the National Executive Council (NEC) of our party, received the afore said proposal of the amendments, debated and streamlined them especially on the 24th of October 2017 and forwarded same to all state chapters as required by our constitution,
And whereas, the said return has since been received, whereas the National Executive Council (NEC) of our party at its 77th meeting held on the 30th of November 2017, in exercise of its powers, considered, debated, approved the afore said constitutional proposals
Whereas, section 66-1, 2 and 3 of our constitution has been complied with in terms of the procedure for constitutional amendment.
Now therefore, I move in the following terms;
- That the preamble to the constitution be amended to reflect contemporary realities and issues of concern to our party as detailed in item A of appendix A herein annexed to this motion.
- That section 8 of the constitution be amended to ease the procedure for rejoining our party by members who for one reason or the other left at some point and who are desirous of returning, these are displayed and marked as item B in appendix A herein annexed.
- That section 50 of the constitution be amended to relax the minimum time requirements before members can seek elective or appointive offices under the platform of the party as set out in item C of appendix A to this motion.
- That section 29-1 subsection 5 of the constitution be also amended to make the national vice-chairmen of our party (the 6 of them), members of the National working committee as set out in item D of appendix A herein annexed.
- That sections 29, 30, 31, 35, 45 and all other related provisions of our constitution be amended for the party to have 2 Deputy National Chairmen as set out in item E of appendix A to this motion.
- That section 29-1B of the constitution of our party be amended so that at least one of the two Deputy National Chairmen hereinafter refereed to shall be a woman.
- That section 35-1 of the constitution be amended to limit the powers of the National chairman to only preside over the National convention as detailed out in item G of appendix A to this motion.
- That section 47-6 of the constitution nullified earlier by the judgement of the high court of the a Federal Capital Territory (FCT), be hereby reinstated with amendments as stated in item H of appendix A to this motion.
- That section 41 subsection 1 of our constitution be amended also to strengthen the powers of the National Auditor to be able to render timely and accurate audit report of our party as set out in appendix A to this motion.
- That section, 31 subsection 1, Paragraph D of the constitution be also amended so that the Chairman and secretary of the Board of a Trustees as well as statutory members of the BOT, shall have voting rights at the NEC of the party as set out in item J of appendix A to this motion.
- That section 32 of the constitution dealing with composition, election, tenure of officers and members and qualification of membership of the Board of a Trustees of our party be amended and set out in item K herein annexed and marked appendix A to this motion.
- That section 33-1, 25-1 subsection 5 and 18 subsection 1 of the constitution be amended to broaden the base for congresses and national conventions as set out in items L of appendix A to this motion
- That section 31 subsection 1, 30 subsection 1, 27 subsections 1, 5, 6, 7 and 24 subsection 1, 22 subsection 1, 19 subsection 1, 20 subsection 1, 16 subsection 1, 17 subsection 1 and section 14 subsection 1 of our constitution be also amended to expand the caucuses and the executive omitted of our party as set out in item M herein marked as appendix A to this motion.
- That accredited delegates to this national convention shall cast their votes on each of these items of amendments by marking either ‘yes or no’ in the columns in the sheets that are before you.
- That the amendments in paragraph 5 above relating to item E of appendix A shall take effect today 9th December 2017 while other amendments shall take effect on the 1st of January, 2018.
I so move.